Albert (www.albert.io) is an instructional platform that empowers teachers to unlock the potential in all learners. We are a mission-driven and diverse team of passionate, thoughtful, and creative individuals creating the learning platform of the future. Thousands of schools have adopted Albert as their mission-critical instructional platform and we are growing quickly.
Overview of our stack:
● The application is fully isomorphic, rendering application state/snapshots server-side where possible.
● Our API services are built with Elixir, Phoenix, and PostgreSQL following the JSON API specification.
● We run on Google Cloud using Kubernetes and Docker.
As a Backend Software Engineer, you will work with our cutting-edge Elixir/Phoenix-powered API to support feature development and push the boundaries of scalability, stability, and speed.
● You'll be an major contributor to the team by writing modern, testable and maintainable code to support Albert's roadmap.
● You'll take ownership of features and engineering initiatives from end-to-end by going through design, implementation, test, and maintenance cycles.
● Participate in and lead architectural and design review discussions.
● Collaborate with other engineers and the Product team to define project goals and establish milestones.
● Identify opportunities to improve existing code or architecture.
● Embody our core values and uphold our unique company culture.
● You'll have the satisfaction of watching your work reach millions of students and teachers each year and feel good about your impact on the world.
● You'll get to use the most cutting-edge server-side tools available. You get to craft software you are proud of and ship in quick iterations with confidence.
● You will play a meaningful role in the ideation, user experience, design, and testing of new features.
● You'll work some of the brightest, kindest, and most passionate people anywhere.
Building the future of interactive learning has its perks...
● Health, dental, and vision insurance. We offer a range of options, including the best BCBS PPO Platinum plan available.
● Flexible vacation policy. Take guilt-free vacations with no hard limit. Just be reasonable and considerate of the company and your teammates.
● A 401k plan. Save for retirement with a fully managed plan.
● A sweet office. A bright and open space in the heart of River North with top-of-the-line furniture.
● Snacks galore. Free coffee, La Croix, and a generous snack budget for your team.
● Commuter benefit. Get up to $50 taken from your pre-tax paycheck and applied toward transportation and commuting costs.
● The best equipment. Everyone gets whatever equipment setup they'd like (within reason).
● Standing desks. Anyone who wants one can have a standing desk.
● Monthly social events. Company-sponsored happy hours, dinners, and other social events.
● Annual company outings. Every year we do something big as a team.
● Salary: $75,000 - $120,000
● Equity: 0.1% - 0.5%
We look for people who are passionate learners, work well in teams, and take pride in their work.
The following are helpful:
● Professional experience writing services in functional languages using modern frameworks and infrastructure. Experience with the following is a plus: Elixir, Phoenix, PostgreSQL, and Docker.
● Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or relevant professional experience working in a product-driven environment.
● Able to write well-documented, maintainable, and tested code.
● The ability to take a pragmatic approach to problem and prioritization, always considering how to maximize value to users and the rest of your team.
● You're comfortable working in an agile environment and used to working collaboratively, participating in code reviews, and being a great teammate.
● You can be a leader in driving your team and the broader engineering team toward identifying and executing on the best solutions.