Front-End Engineer II (mid-level)
Albert seeks a
creative, enthusiastic, and self-motivated front-end engineer to join
our front-end team. The ideal candidate is exceptional at front-end
development with a concrete skillset in HTML, CSS, and especially
production app or website using React.js.
Please note: unfortunately, Albert is unable to offer visa sponsorship at this time.
Albert is an instructional platform that empowers teachers to unlock the potential in all learners. We are a team of engineers and educators, advocates and experts creating the practice and assessment platform of the future.
- Our backend services are built with Elixir, Phoenix, and PostgreSQL
- Our core API is RESTful following the JSON API specification
- We have secondary services where we are adopting the use of GraphQL
- Our infrastructure utilizes Google Cloud Platform using Kubernetes, Docker, among other technologies
We are currently a team of three front-end engineers, but we collaborate daily with our colleagues on the Back-End, Product, and Design teams. We are passionate about our jobs, and we look forward to coming to work every day. We pride ourselves on our ability to learn from each other and solve problems together.
As a member of the front-end team, your daily responsibilities will include:
- Building responsive and performant UIs using React.js
- Supporting our QA team with unit, integration, and end-to-end tests using Jest and React Testing Library
- Writing standards-compliant and accessible HTML (JSX) and CSS from scratch
- Identifying both best practices and anti-patterns in Design and Code Reviews
- Communicating abstract concepts, both verbally and in writing, to technical and non-technical colleagues
If this interests you, here is what you can expect in return for working at Albert, and what makes Albert special:
- You will make an immediate impact. Our small size means every engineer is a major contributor to supporting Albert's roadmap.
- You will serve a rewarding user base. Around the world, students in middle school, high school, and beyond use Albert to learn. As a front-end engineer, you will write accessible software that puts them first.
- You will grow as a programmer and as a teammate. We will proudly support you as you solve challenging problems and improve Albert's architecture.
Albert has a headquarters in Chicago, with some employees distributed across the nation in fully-remote roles. If you prefer to be physically present with co-workers, you would want to be located in Chicago. However, we have had success with remote roles and are willing to hire great colleagues anywhere in the U.S. for remote positions.
Health, dental, and vision insurance. We offer a range of options, including the BCBS PPO Platinum plan. The company contributes 99% of our great base health plan (employees pay the difference for more expensive plans) and 85% for vision and dental.
One Medical. We cover the cost of enrollment in One Medical to provide employees on any of our health plans with convenient access to primary care.
Paid parental leave. Parents are eligible for up to twelve (12) weeks of fully paid parental leave after a year of service.
A 401k plan. Save for retirement with a fully managed plan.
Commuter benefit. Use pre-tax earnings on your commute through our managed platform.
Flexible, guilt-free vacation. Take guilt-free vacations with no hard limit. Just be reasonable and considerate of the company and your teammates.
Remote work. Prior to COVID, we had a flexible work-from-home policy. As a result of COVID, we are embracing hiring positions remotely, or based from our office in Chicago. When things return to “normal”, we will continue to have a flexible work-from-home approach.
MINIMUM TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS
- 1+ years of experience in a front-end role
- 1+ years of experience with React
- Strong proficiency in CSS and HTML
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or relevant professional experience working in a product-driven environment
Additionally, strong candidates can demonstrate they are thoughtful, disciplined writers by including a cover letter.
Experience using Git for version control
- Experience with accessibility guidelines (e.g. WCAG 2.0)
- Experience maintaining a component library or design system
- Experience with TDD and/or testing libraries (e.g. Jest, Testing Library, Mocha, etc.)