Albert (www.albert.io) is an instructional platform that empowers teachers to unlock the potential in all learners. We are a mission-driven team of passionate and thoughtful individuals creating the practice and assessment platform of the future.
Overview of our stack:
● The application is fully isomorphic, rendering application state/snapshots server-side where possible.
● Our API services are built with Elixir, Phoenix, and PostgreSQL following the JSON API specification.
● We run on Google Cloud using Kubernetes and Docker.
As a Backend Software Engineer, you will work with our cutting-edge Elixir/Phoenix-powered API to support feature development and push the boundaries of scalability, stability, and speed.
● be a major contributor to the team by writing modern, testable and maintainable code to support Albert's roadmap;
● take ownership of features and engineering initiatives from end-to-end by going through design, implementation, test, and maintenance cycles;
● participate in and lead architectural and design review discussions;
● collaborate with other engineers and the Product team to define project goals and establish milestones;
● identify opportunities to improve existing code or architecture; and
● embody our core values and uphold our unique company culture.
Albert has a headquarters in Chicago, with some employees distributed across the nation in fully-remote roles. If you prefer to be physically present with co-workers, you would want to be located in Chicago. However, we have had success with remote roles and are willing to hire great colleagues anywhere in the U.S. for remote positions
Albert is so much more than just a job. You will do great work here supported by incredibly talented, passionate, and kind colleagues. You'll look forward to waking up everyday to help us bring better learning experiences to students worldwide. We carefully maintain our culture of openness, respectful debate, calculated risk-taking, and first-principles thinking. You'll also form lifelong friendships, collaborate with incredible managers, have a ton of fun, and pick up skills and experience that will last you a lifetime.
On our engineering team, you'll be involved in the entire product development process as an equal thought partner from ideation, to engineering investigation, to design, through implementation. At Albert, deadlines and scope are driven by the engineering team, not by teams or managers detached from the technical challenges at hand. We take time to pay off technical debt, test, and plan long-term architectural improvements alongside new features. Most importantly, you'll see how rewarding it is to release features to tens of thousands of teachers who rely on Albert for their day-to-day instruction!
● Health, dental, and vision insurance. We offer a range of options, including the best BCBS PPO Platinum plan available. The company contributes 99% of our great base health plan (employees pay the difference for more expensive plans) and 85% for vision and dental.
● One Medical. We cover enrollment in One Medical to provide all employees with convenient access to primary care.
● Paid parental leave. Parents are eligible for up to twelve (12) weeks of fully paid parental leave after a year of service.
● A 401k plan. Save for retirement with a fully managed plan.
● Commuter benefit. Use pre-tax earnings on your commute through our managed platform.
● Flexible, guilt-free vacation. Take guilt-free vacations with no hard limit. Just be reasonable and considerate of the company and your teammates.
● Remote work. Prior to COVID, we had a flexible work-from-home policy. As a result of COVID, we are embracing hiring positions remotely, or based from our office in Chicago. When things return to "normal", we will continue to have a flexible work-from-home approach
We look for people who are passionate learners, work well in teams, and take pride in their work.
The following are helpful:
● Professional experience writing services in functional languages using modern frameworks and infrastructure. Experience with the following is a plus: Elixir, Phoenix, PostgreSQL, and Docker.
● Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or relevant professional experience working in a product-driven environment.
● Able to write well-documented, maintainable, and tested code.
● The ability to take a pragmatic approach to problem-solving and prioritization, always considering how to maximize value to users and the rest of your team.
● You're comfortable working in an agile environment and used to working collaboratively, participating in code reviews, and being a great teammate.
● You can be a leader in driving your team and the broader engineering team toward identifying and executing the best solutions.