Albert (www.albert.io) is an instructional platform that empowers teachers to unlock the potential in all learners. We are a mission-driven and diverse team of passionate, thoughtful, and creative individuals creating the learning platform of the future. Thousands of schools have adopted Albert as their mission-critical instructional platform and we are growing quickly.
Overview of our stack:
● The application is fully isomorphic, rendering application state/snapshots server-side where possible.
● Our API services are built with Elixir, Phoenix, and PostgreSQL following the JSON API specification.
● We run on Google Cloud using Kubernetes and Docker.
This internship will be based out of our office in Chicago's River North neighborhood. It will be salaried and span at least three months during Summer 2020.
Albert is so much more than just a job. You will do great work here supported by incredibly talented, passionate, and kind colleagues. You'll look forward to waking up everyday to help us bring better learning experiences to students worldwide. We carefully maintain our culture of openness, respectful debate, calculated risk-taking, and first-principles thinking. You'll also form lifelong friendships, collaborate with incredible managers, have a ton of fun, and pick up skills and experience that will last you a lifetime.
On our engineering team, you'll be involved in the entire product development process as an equal thought partner from ideation, to engineering investigation, to design, through implementation. At Albert, deadlines and scope are driven by the engineering team, not by teams or managers detached from the technical challenges at hand. We take time to pay off technical debt, test, and plan long-term architectural improvements alongside new features. Most importantly, you'll see how rewarding it is to release features to tens of thousands of teachers who rely on Albert for their day-to-day instruction!
● A great office. A bright, open office in the loop with lots of natural light, views of the Chicago River and convenient amenities like a gym with free classes, food court, bike room, and top-of-the-line furnishings.
● The best equipment. Everyone gets whatever equipment setup they'd like, including standing desks.
● Monthly social events. Company-sponsored happy hours, dinners, and other social events.
This will be a paid internship. Salary range: $50,000-$70,000 prorated.
We look for people who are passionate learners, work well in teams, and take pride in their work. It is not as important to us that engineers have specific experience with React, so long as they bring strong relevant experience.
The following skills are helpful:
● A strong academic or on-the-job background in web application development and computer science.
● Superior problem solving and prioritization skills. The ability to consider a solution for right now, a week from now, and a month from now and strike the right balance to deliver value to users.