User Interface Designer
Albert (www.albert.io) is an instructional platform that empowers teachers to unlock the potential in all learners. We are a mission-driven team of passionate and thoughtful individuals creating the practice and assessment platform of the future.
As a User Interface Designer, you will be our team's second full-time designer. You will primarily collaborate with our design lead and product owners to develop user interfaces across our core product and marketing site.
Your role will involve:
- Producing high-fidelity desktop interfaces for our core application and marketing pages
- Leverage design patterns and styles defined in Albert’s design system.
- Expanding and continuously improving the styles and components in our design system.
- Managing a freelance visual designer to create visual assets from time to time.
Albert has a headquarters in Chicago, with some employees distributed across the nation in fully-remote roles. If you prefer to be physically present with co-workers, you would want to be located in Chicago. However, we have had success with remote roles and are willing to hire great colleagues anywhere in the U.S. for remote positions.
Our culture is our best competitive advantage. We stress freedom of opinion, think long-term, and strive to empower bottoms-up decision-making. You'll work alongside talented and humble teammates who are endlessly supportive and share your passion for making an impact on education. Your managers will genuinely care about your success, growth, and wellbeing. Most importantly, you'll learn a lot and have a ton of fun along the way.
Health, dental, and vision insurance. We offer a range of options, including the best BCBS PPO Platinum plan available. The company contributes 99% of our great base health plan (employees pay the difference for more expensive plans) and 85% for vision and dental.
One Medical. We cover enrollment in One Medical to provide all employees with convenient access to primary care.
Paid parental leave. Parents are eligible for up to twelve (12) weeks of fully paid parental leave after a year of service.
A 401k plan. Save for retirement with a fully managed plan.
Commuter benefit. Use pre-tax earnings on your commute through our managed platform.
Flexible, guilt-free vacation. Take guilt-free vacations with no hard limit. Just be reasonable and considerate of the company and your teammates.
Remote work. Prior to COVID, we had a flexible work-from-home policy. As a result of COVID, we are embracing hiring positions remotely, or based from our office in Chicago. When things return to "normal", we will continue to have a flexible work-from-home approach.
- Excitement about working on our product.
- Experience designing desktop-first interfaces with mobile considerations.
- 2+ years of full-time professional experience as a designer.
- A strong understanding of design principles including layout, typography, color theory, psychology, etc.
- A portfolio of relevant product desktop-class user interface work that you're proud to share with us.
- An open-minded experimenter, able to see design challenges from various perspectives and consider them objectively.
- Experience with researching and analyzing design patterns, best practices, user behaviors, user data, and feedback in order to create the best possible solution.
- Base-level understanding of HTML and CSS and the possibilities and limitations they present in web design.
- Knowledge of accessibility as it relates to code and design.
- Alignment with our culture and values (https://www.albert.io/about-our-values).