Albert (www.albert.io) is an instructional platform that empowers teachers to unlock the potential in all learners. We are a mission-driven and diverse team of passionate, thoughtful, and creative individuals creating the learning platform of the future. Thousands of schools have adopted Albert as their mission-critical instructional platform and we are growing quickly.
As a Visual Designer, you will be our team's second full-time designer. You will primarily collaborate with our design lead and product owners to develop visual assets and user interfaces across our core product and marketing site.
Your role will involve:
● Producing high-fidelity interfaces for our core application and marketing pages by leveraging patterns defined in our established design system;
● Expanding and continuously improving the components in our design system;
● Exploring and conceptualizing visual design solutions that maintain brand consistency;
● Developing visual assets (e.g., illustrations, iconography, micro-animations, etc) for our core application, marketing pages, blog, emails, and social media accounts;
● Managing freelance visual designers to create visual assets as needed.
Albert is so much more than just a job. You will do great work here supported by incredibly talented, passionate, and kind colleagues. You'll look forward to coming to work every day to help us bring better learning experiences to students worldwide. We carefully maintain our culture of openness, respectful debate, calculated risk-taking, and first-principles thinking. You'll also form lifelong friendships, collaborate with incredible managers, have a ton of fun, and pick up skills and experience that will last you a lifetime.
At Albert, you'll be involved in the entire design process as an equal thought partner from defining the business requirements of design tasks, to developing the UI and UX designs. We are at an exciting inflection point in growing our design team: Since you would be our second full-time designer, you'll have a major impact on the solutions for a wide range of interesting design challenges. You'll be in a high-leverage position working with three full-time product managers and our engineering team across our entire product. And most importantly, you'll have a lot of fun collaborating with our product and engineering teams to deliver features used every day by millions.
Building the future of interactive learning has its perks.
● Health, dental, and vision insurance. We offer a range of options, including the best BCBS PPO Platinum plan available. The company contributes 85% of our great base health plan (employees pay the difference for more expensive plans) and 75% for vision and dental.
● One Medical. We cover the cost of enrollment in One Medical to provide employees on any of our health plans with convenient access to primary care.
● Paid parental leave. Primary caregivers are eligible for up to twelve (12) weeks of fully paid parental leave. Secondary caregivers are eligible for eight (8) weeks of fully paid leave and an additional four (4) weeks unpaid.
● A 401k plan. Save for retirement with a fully managed plan. Traditional and Roth 401k options available, and you can easily build a custom portfolio.
● Flexible vacation policy. Take guilt-free vacations with no hard limit. Just be reasonable and considerate of the company and your teammates. We encourage taking off at least 10 days per year.
● Work-from-home. We give everyone an annual allotment of flexible work-from-home days that increase with tenure.
Productivity at work...
● A sweet office. A bright, open office in the loop with lots of natural light, views of the Chicago River and convenient amenities like a gym with free classes, food court, bike room, and top-of-the-line furnishings.
● The best equipment. Everyone gets whatever equipment setup they'd like, including standing desks.
Just for fun...
● Commuter benefit. Take up to $265 out of each paycheck pre-tax to pay for public transit, Uber Pool, and Lyft Line with our fully managed commuter card program.
● Monthly social events. Company-sponsored happy hours, dinners, and other social events.
● Annual company outings. Every year we do a big off-site as a team.
What we're looking for:
● Excitement about working on our product specifically;
● 2+ years of full-time professional experience as a visual or product designer (illustration skills are a plus);
● A strong understanding of design principles including layout, typography, color theory, psychology, etc.
● A portfolio of relevant product design work that you’re proud to share with us;
● Ability to take constructive design feedback without defensiveness;
● A first-principles thinker with original design ideas and perspectives;
● A hunger to constantly make improvements, seek feedback, and learn;
● An open-minded experimenter, able to see design challenges from various perspectives and consider them objectively;
● Alignment with our culture and values (https://www.albert.io/about-our-values).